We believe it is necessary to find new ways of operating that prioritize responsible consumption, eco-efficient operations and products, diversified raw materials and special emphasis to renewable sources and the viability of innovative solutions for a better and more sustainable life.
BRASKEM AND THE GREEN ECONOMY
For Braskem, this way of seeing the world and sustainable development is in line with the premises of the United Nations Commission on Sustainable Development, which support strengthening the role of private enterprise and the economy in the pursuit of sustainability. The Commission made the "Green Economy" one of the topics for further discussion at the next UN conference on sustainable development, Rio+20, which was held in Rio de Janeiro in 2012.
With the aim of supporting this debate, the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) published the "Towards a Green Economy" report in February 2011. It defines a "Green Economy" as "an economy that results in improved human well-being and social equity, while significantly reducing social and environmental risks" or "a low-carbon economy, that uses resources efficiently and is socially inclusive".
The report also contains a specific chapter on the contribution of industry, as it considers that subject to have "a major material impact on the economy and environment" and suggests the following focuses:
Improved use of resources
- Improved use of mineral, oil and gas reserves;
- Less waste production;
- Structuring productive systems in cycles (life-cycle approach), favoring reusing (remanufacturing) and recycling materials;
- Improved efficiency in water use;
- Longer working life for materials;
- Use of renewable sources for raw materials;
- Improved energy efficiency;
- Combined production of energy and heat.
Creating green jobs
- Mainly in the remanufacturing and recycling chains;
- Encouraging innovation, focusing on cleaner and socially inclusive technologies;
- More consumer involvement.
These focuses are the pillars of Braskem's sustainable development goals and underscore the importance of the chemical industry's contribution in that regard. To find out more about Braskem's goals, click here.